• You cannot reply to this topic
125 replies to this topic

WESKER69

WESKER69

Pure Evil

• PSYCHO
  • 5514 posts

On January 2nd, 2012
The JAWS Ride, along with the rest of the Amity area, will close and be removed forever!

Posted Image

No press release as of yet but the Universal Studios Facebook page did post this:

"Hey fans, we want you to be the first to know… JAWS! and the Amity area will officially close on January 2 to make room for an exciting, NEW, experience we’re planning for you.

We know you love JAWS! and we do too. It has been an amazing attraction and after terrorizing the waters of Amity here at Universal Orlando for 20 years, it’s a VERY important part of our history. So, we’ve got a couple things planned to ensure we always remember and honor it. We know it’s hard to say goodbye, but we can’t express how EXCITED we are about the new, innovative & amazing experience we’re going to be bringing you."

Posted Image

In honor of JAWS.... I'm quoting my post from last year..

THE JAWS SPIEL:

"Hi Guys, watch your step. Ok lets see about safety features. You guys are all fully protected against shark attacks today by these 40MM grenade launchers and the fact that noone's actually seen a great white in this town in over 35 years now... so whatever. Alright looks good, you guys ready to go!? AMITY 6 to base, come in base."

"Uh this is base, you're cleared for departure AMITY 6. Have a good trip."

"10-4. Its time to start our voyage. Hey guys, wave goodbye to those happy land-lubbers up there. And we're off! Well good morning everybody & welcome to Captain Jake's Amity Boat Tours! We're THE BEST!! Woohoo and thats because we're the only scenic cruise here on the island. My name is ________ and I'll be your skipper today, as we take a look back at some of the actual spots where, back in 1974 that bad old shark JAWS devoured those- poor.. and innocent islanders. Now, first item of interest is on your Port side. Thats the home of our very own Chief of Police, Martin Brody. Now Brody really did blow up that shark and became a legend in his own time. Roy Schieder played him in the movie that they made of our little "shark episode", how many of you saw the movie JAWS? Lucky you, you got to watch the movie, here in Amity we had to live through-"

*static* "Mayday! Mayday!.... *static* 3... *static* theres something down there.. *static* i don't know what...*static* HELP! SEND HELP! Its growing through the- Aaaagghhhh aaaghhhh aagghhhhhhhh" *static*

"Uh AMITY 6 to base, uh listen, did you guys copy that last Transmission? It sounded like Gordan on AMITY 3. Over."

"Uh 10-4. We copy. He can't be too far away. He was headed back in. Uh..uh we're picking up his distress signal now. Keep an eye out for him. I'll call Chief Brody. Base Clear."

"10-4. Alright guys, it looks like one of our other tour groups ran into a little bit of trouble. So we're going to have to make- I don't believe this. What Happened!? AMITY 6 TO BASE! AMITY 3 is sinking out by the lighthouse... I don't know what could've done this out here... except... except a shark. Alright everybody stay calm here ok. We're gonna get you guys off the boat. We just gotta make sure we-... SHARK!!! THE BIGGEST ONE I'VE EVER SEEN! You gotta be kidding me- OH-Mi-Gosh. Oh-mi-gosh. Its going underneath the boat! BASE! WHAT WE DO OUT HERE MAN!?"

"Uh stay calm. Uh try the grenade launcher. Over."

"Wait, you mean these things are actually LOADED!??
*fires* Shoot! *fires* Missed Again! Come on, lets get out of here. This is AMITY 6, tell Chief Brody we're gonna hide in the boathouse until he gets here, okay?... Lets see, where do we tie up? HELLO? IS ANYBODY HERE?... Do you hear something? *canoes crash* THATS HIM! WE GOTTA GO! Uh-Oh! NO-no! GUYS!?? I CAN'T START THE ENGINE! (or "IT WON'T DROP INTO GEAR!!") Oh come on, this isn't funny! COME-ON! *barrel tips over* I GOT IT! Hang on guys, we're outta here.. LOOK OUT!!!!.... MAYDAY! MAYDAY! This is AMITY 6! We Need somebody out here RIGHT NOW. WHOA!"

"AMITY 6, this is Chief Brody. I'm on my way. I'll be there in 10 minutes"

"10 MINUTES!? WE'LL BE SHARKBAIT IN 10 MINUTES!! Alright guys, help me out here.
*gets grenade launcher* Where is he? I don't even see him anywhere. *fires & hits gas dock* oh- NOO! This is bad. Oh this is REALLY bad. Hang on guys, 'cause we need to get away from this gas dock. Come on!..... Ok ok it looks like we made it. Hang on guys. Now we should be ok up here uh.. we're gonna try to get off on that old fishing dock. Straight up ahead, alright? We'll unload one row at a time up here guys. Watch out for the high-voltage barge. Now everybody stay seated, so we can make this as quick and (we should be fine as long as we don't hear that scary music)- Oh no....LOOK! *gets grenade launcher* WHOA! *fires* *fires again* Oh boy that thing is DISGUSTING! We really roasted him huh-WHOA! Hang on i got him *fires* Ooo man! What a day."

"AMITY 6!? WHAT WAS THAT?? WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU!?"

"Base"

"This is Brody. Are you alright!?"

"Listen Chief, this is AMITY 6, call off the marines because WE'RE COMIN' HOME!!! Ladies and gentlemen, thanks guys. I want to thank you guys though, for your incredible bravery out there today, but listen. We don't need to tell anybody what went on out there, because if word of this little 'fish episode' were to leak out, thatd be it for Captain Jake's and all of the other businesses out here. So keep it to yourselves, afterall- WE DID GET HIM, DIDN'T WE!!??
*fist pump* Alright guys, my name is __________, there's _________, and on behalf of Captain Jake and Universal, THANK YOU for helping me conquer the menace of JAWS! So Long Everybody!"

Posted Image
*~* fReAK :: INFECTED :: PSYCHO :: Moderator *~*

Kairi

Kairi

Siren

• THE INFECTED
  • 576 posts
  • LocationNaples, Fl
  • Favorite Year:2007
  • Favorite House:Hades, Hallow'd Past, Friday the 13th, Dead SIlence, Nightmare on Elm street house, Leatherface
let's hope this isn't going to be like the trade off of back to the future for the simpsons...

Nightshade

Nightshade

I dont go outside

• PSYCHO
  • 860 posts
  • LocationOrlando
  • Favorite House:your mom's
  • First HHN:2001
Jaws isn't even one of my favorite USF rides, but I still have to do this...

[rant]

God, Universal is stupid. They really don't know how to run a successful theme park for the long term. Even after the heavy backlash caused by the previous movement to close it, and despite the fact that it's still popular, they decide to close yet another of their VERY FEW classic attractions for no good reason. They have PLENTY of empty space elsewhere! There's no excuse for this. And don't give me the "It's too expensive to operate" BS. Cheapskates.

Contrary to Universal's heavily flawed outlook, theme parks are not all about what's cool & hip. You need some classic attractions that people remember & grow attached to. Attractions that people expect to see every time they visit your park, even if it isn't the latest & greatest or some sort of technological marvel. Constantly replacing everything is not a sustainable model for success. Disney knows this. Do you see them replacing Haunted Mansion, a 40-year-old attraction, with the latest fad? No, because they know what the f**k they're doing, unlike their competitor. I usually enjoy my time spent at these parks, and I've been an AP holder for the past decade, but there's a reason why Universal was struggling mightily until this past year, and now their poor judgment strikes again.

It's really ironic that this company, which is about to celebrate its 100th birthday, appears to have very little respect for its own legacy. [/rant]

Money says Harry Potter or Transformers.

Speilberg has alluded to Transformers coming "soon," and Harry Potter would bring the crowds to the Studios that are saturating the Islands.

Transformers is just a semi-clone of a ride we already have in the other park. I'm sure it's a great ride, but we simply don't need it. From what I'm hearing out of Singapore, it isn't even much of an improvement over Spider-Man, and is actually a step back in some ways.

And don't take this as an attack on you personally, but spreading Harry Potter out over two parks would be idiotic. He already has his own full-fledged land in IOA. Because of that, this isn't a situation where they can indiscrimanately plop down a stand-alone attraction wherever they want like Disney does with their Pixar properties. I think that's bad enough, but this would be *completely* nonsensical. When you already have an entire immersive environment based on a property, it only makes sense to expand on that and make it a single, continuous experience. Largely for immersion's sake, but also because it puts a large dent in the sense of realism if the experience is "continued" elsewhere (a complaint I have with cloning WWoHP in Hollywood.) Putting Potter in the Studios would just make them look desperate for attendance, to the point that they're willing to do something really, really stup... oh... wait...

This is why I always fear the next announcement from Universal. I have no faith in their decisions.

Lilith

Lilith

I dont go outside

• THE INFECTED
  • 550 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Favorite House:Nightingales: Blood Prey
  • First HHN:2010
Like I said on Lizz's status on FB, I just don't understand the HP expansion idea. Sure it would bring more money into US, but it would look completely idiotic since Uni has all of Lost Continent to expand in. My money is on Transformers just for the sheer fact that they are going to continue the movies.

And hopefully it doesn't end up like that Kaitlin. That is definitely a ride they should have gotten rid of before Jaws. Here's hoping they do this area justice.

Lizz

Lizz

I post more than most

• THE INFECTED
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Favorite Year:2011
  • Favorite House:Psychoscarepy: HFTH, Dead Silence, Catacombs, the Forsaken, Nevermore
Yes to all of what Jordan said above! I can understand the logic behind the Harry Potter expansion theory, but I completely agree with Jordan's reasons for why it would be stupid.

However, I will be really upset if this is for Transformers. For all the reasons you listed at the beginning about classics. Transformers will not withstand the test of time. Jaws is a classic and a nostalgic favorite. Nostalgia is a huge reason to reutrn to the parks time and time again.

Attended:
XI, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII, XIX, XX, XXI

[Moderator] [fReak]

Cody

Cody

I dont go outside

• PSYCHO
  • 821 posts
  • LocationLongwood, FL
  • Favorite Year:2008
  • Favorite House:Saws n' Steam: Into the Machine
  • First HHN:2006
I'd be surprised if we hit 2020 and have all of the original attractions still standing.

HHN Scareactor
2012: Dark Legions - Beast (Cast A)
2012: An American Werewolf in London - Transforming David, Decayed Jack, Bald Nazi Demon, One-Armed Bobby, Subway Puppet, Alleyway Puppet (Cast A) Widows Peak Nazi (Cast B )

Resident Evil: Escape From Raccoon City - Evac Zombie (Cast A)

Legacy

Legacy

Commander Pecker

• THE INFECTED
  • 528 posts
  • Favorite Year:2002
  • Favorite House:Screamhouse
  • First HHN:2002
We only have one left, and its next door neighbor has already been leveled...

And I'm with you, Jordan. It's a horrible, shortsighted decision. The only problem with all of Universal's attractions is that they're all based on franchises. Disney's "classics" (Haunted Mansion, Small World, Space Mountain) have a longevity that no Universal attraction can really match because of it.

But hey... At least it's not Avatar...

Posted Image
As they did in the days of old, we tell ghost stories 'round The Fire bold.

[/size]

Nightshade

Nightshade

I dont go outside

• PSYCHO
  • 860 posts
  • LocationOrlando
Basing attractions on preexisting IP's comes with several difficulties, one of them being shelf life. I get that. However, in this specific case, with Jaws being one of Universal Studios' most iconic films, I'm not sure they can justify its replacement with whatever flash in the pan they've chosen this time. I do know one thing, I'm going to palm the hell out of my face if it's Transformers. Not just because the film series is on its last legs, but also because of the redundancy in the experience itself. Jaws is unlike anything else on property. We're not only losing a classic, but potentially an attraction that filled a niche in the park which will now go empty.

I feel the same way about E.T. Adventure. They close that and I riot.

mystiquephreeq

mystiquephreeq

I post more than most

• fReAK
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationFlorida
So should I go on a Permit Hunt.

Oh, and Universal made my daughter cry. She heard me mention the closure and got upset. I promised her we could ride Jaws tomorrow.
my old flame was a jester and a joker
and a dealer of men, they called him the prince
a prince of black jacks and of women
and of anything that's slipped into his hands

Ecto Freak

Ecto Freak

I post more than most

• fReAK
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOrlando
I've been going to UO way to much over the last 22 yrs.. Am I sad to see good ole Bruce go? Nope none whatsoever. Yes Jaws is a classic but as people have pointed out the version we have now is from 93 not 1990. I love the ride dont get me wrong but I'm glad its going away.

Do I think Transformers is going to replace it? Nope! Only time will tell whats going on in Amity.

I'm more excited to see how UO will now handle traffic flow... Hell HHN is about to get a massive makeover,
http://designingfear.com/?p=493

Nightshade

Nightshade

I dont go outside

• PSYCHO
  • 860 posts
  • LocationOrlando

I've been going to UO way to much over the last 22 yrs.. Am I sad to see good ole Bruce go? Nope none whatsoever. Yes Jaws is a classic but as people have pointed out the version we have now is from 93 not 1990.

What difference does it make?

TurnerG

TurnerG

I dont go outside

• THE INFECTED
  • 570 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Favorite House:Havoc: Dogs of War, In-Between, Forsaken, Saws and Steam
  • First HHN:2009
Well here's a few pluses,
1) The jaws lagoon won't overflow if they remove that.
2) the bricks may be gone, so sliders may be a hhn option(doubtful)
3) 2 parks is more probable to happen
4) this will make way for better rides

Downsides..
1) It is one of the two classics remaining
2) jaws is loved by thousands
3) HHN holds a house there, gone probably.
4) crowd flow.

Overall I think it is a good idea for jaws to be removed... I didn't like it as much as I liked other rides. It is a classic, but I feel it is a good thing to remove it.
I Am Legend

Boss

Boss

I actually post here

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationOrlando
  • Favorite House:Dead Exposure
  • First HHN:2007
I will miss jaws greatly......

WESKER69

WESKER69

Pure Evil

• PSYCHO
  • 5514 posts

Well here's a few pluses,
1) The jaws lagoon won't overflow if they remove that.
2) the bricks may be gone, so sliders may be a hhn option(doubtful)
3) 2 parks is more probable to happen
4) this will make way for better rides
Overall I think it is a good idea for jaws to be removed... I didn't like it as much as I liked other rides. It is a classic, but I feel it is a good thing to remove it.

Your so-called "pluses" are asinine and prove you don't fully understand the situation or the park itself...

The jaws lagoon won't overflow? Um... what? That is just stupidity right there... It has a drainage system, remember, they've drained it multiple times for refurbishments...

bricks are gone so sliders can return to HHN? Um... Amity isn't the heavily bricked area of the park. And there are other areas within the park that can be used for sliders, so why would the closure of Jaws/Amity have an affect on whether or not there are sliders at HHN? Besides, UNI doesn't want to repave/repaint the ground after HHN. They also use the excuse of "crowds are too big".

You realize that the first time they did "2 parks"... it wasn't even "2 parks"? It was less than half- Studios side: NY, production Central, San francisco. IOA side- Port of Entry, Marvel, & Toon. They had two cross over scarezones... and a lot of walking. I personally don't want to experience that.

Make way for better rides? Did you not read what Jordan posted above? There are at least 3 areas in the park that are being wasted while a perfectly good ride gets demolished & filled in with dirt/concrete. The empty lot behind the Sprung Tents, The old Hard Rock Cafe was just demolished, the Herc & Xena soundstage which is just being used for storage/breakroom IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PARK....

How exactly is it a good idea or a good thing to remove it? Really, I'd love to know why getting rid of one ride, midway games, and a few food stands justifies letting other unused areas of the park sit untouched. JAWS is more than a classic.. it it fun & it is the ONLY Spiel driven ride left since Kongfrontation is gone.

Posted Image

Legacy

Legacy

Commander Pecker

• THE INFECTED
  • 528 posts
  • Favorite Year:2002
  • Favorite House:Screamhouse
  • First HHN:2002
It's odd for me.

I'm disappointed that Jaws is closing, but I'm not angry, surprised, or even sad about it, really. Deep down, the ride was kitschy, dated (18 years, that's a long time for a boat ride), and not at all enthralling after your first trip on it.

This wasn't a headline attraction when the park opened. That ride has been gone for nearly a decade already. This is a very similar closure to BttF, where the attraction didn't actually open with the park and is based on a franchise from the 80's that wasn't exactly "kid-friendly." Transformers (and potentially Fast and the Furious), for all the problems with the movies, is a much more marketable property. Face it. Teens now didn't grow up with Jaws or Marty McFly or Hannah Barbara or even ET... they're growing up with Mummy and Despicable Me and Transformers and Harry Potter.

We can compare to Disney, and how their rides have been there for 40 years, but they lost Toad and 20,000 Leagues for Winnie the Pooh and Little Mermaid. Two dated franchises for two newer franchises. Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Pirates (originally), Small World, Tiki Room, and Space Mountain aren't based directly on franchises. They're timeless. Jaws isn't. Kong (sadly) isn't. BttF isn't. That's not to say they were bad rides. They were amazing rides. Their time had come though.

Yes, Universal "has room" behind the Sprungs... but that's across the employee road with only a narrow area between MiB and Simpsons to create any sort of facade. Getting to an attraction there would require massive changes to the logistics of the park and crowd flow and from a business perspective isn't particularly practical to create a weenie.

Jaws, on the other hand, is a massive plot of land, right on the guest path. Obviously, they have something BIG planned, or else they would have chosen that location.

Posted Image
As they did in the days of old, we tell ghost stories 'round The Fire bold.

[/size]

Nightshade

Nightshade

I dont go outside

• PSYCHO
  • 860 posts
  • LocationOrlando
Maybe Universal does have the right idea after all. Out with the old, in with the new. Gotta keep up with the Jonases. I can't wait for Twi1ight Land.

Lilith

Lilith

I dont go outside

• THE INFECTED
  • 550 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Favorite House:Nightingales: Blood Prey
  • First HHN:2010
Oohh sparkles the vampire Land! Will the workers be sparkling since it is almost always sunny in Florida?

foREVer56

foREVer56

BACCANOID

• PSYCHO
  • 1580 posts
  • Favorite House:NOES, Catacombs, SH 3, ST III, IB, WN,Gothic
  • First HHN:2005
is FFL stage part of Amity? and if so, where could B&T go?

XV-XVI-XVII-XVIII-XIX-XX-XXI-XXII-XXIII
HOS13
Favorite Houses:
2005: The Skool
2006: Screamhouse:Ressurection
2007: Nightmare on Elm Street:Dreamwalkers(All-Time Fav)
2008: Scary Tales: Once Upon A Nightmare
2009: Silver Screams
2010: Catacombs:Black Death Rising
2011: Winter's Night: The Haunting of Hawthorn Cemetry
2012: Gothic

2013: An American Werewolf in London
HOS13: Zombie Mortuary
BACCANOID

WESKER69

WESKER69

Pure Evil

• PSYCHO
  • 5514 posts

is FFL stage part of Amity? and if so, where could B&T go?

Yes FFL is part of Amity, BUT there is no reason for the show needing to be relocated. It can still be held within the old Wild West Theater during HHN, then "IF" they need the space for whatever it is they have planned, they can start construction on the theater AFTER HHN.

While yes they plan to level the entire area, the question is, "how quickly?"

Of course the closing of Amity will affect HHN, but MAYBE not as much as some might think. BTTF was walled off during HHN in 2006 (i think) & 2007.. BUT that was on a much smaller scale. More than likely, AMITY will be treated like the Disney California Adventure construction. The entire park is being redone, including the entrance. So there are areas all over the park (including the entrance) that have construction walls up while those shops, food stands, etc are being redone, demolished/rebuilt, whatever... So to prevent people from having to back track, Universal will most likely have construction walls up infront of the midway games, food stands & Jaws...

You're only assuming that they won't be using the extended queue for a house or FFL for B&T due to this announcement, but it is still possible for BOTH to happen as if there was no "bye bye Amity". HHN house permits get filed in May & house construction begins soon after (June)... When Jaws closed down after a few months of operation in 1990 to get a full redo, they used the entire queue line building for Dungeon of Terror in 1991 & 1992 (since Jaws re-opened in 1993). So depending on how quickly they level the area, there is always the possibility of having one last mega Jaws queue house like the first & 2nd HHN event. (They did that in 2007 with Vampyr: Blood Bath. Previous Nazerman's houses entered in Sting Alley and only used the Nazerman's building (which also is used by Blue Bros now), but since the old arcade building was being turned into a Starbucks/Ben&Jerry's, they decided to do something unique with that area.)

Is it possible for there to be a Jaws queue house and B&T at FFL in 2012? Of course. Will that actually happen? Maybe, maybe not. Its really too soon to know. Will there be changes to HHN come 2013? Definitely. For now, I wouldn't worry about it. If the house & show need to be relocated for HHN 22, it can & will be done.

Now set HHN 22 aside for a moment.. there is actually a much bigger question that comes into play. Everyone is "Oh no, whats going to happen to HHN, B&T, the 8th house???!!!"... Yet you all forget that there is an event that comes after Macys in the studio park- MARDI GRAS. The parade always starts at the gates between Jaws & FFL (where the house queue line is located during HHN) and then travels through Amity, down through San Francisco, into the lagoon side of NY/Production central, etc etc... So if Amity is being done away with, how will this construction affect Mardi Gras 2012 (Feb 11-April 14)? Sure they could start the parade over by Beetlejuice's backstage gates like Macy's, but that would be a very short parade route for a major event that is limited to only 14 nights....

Posted Image

foREVer56

foREVer56

BACCANOID

• PSYCHO
  • 1580 posts
  • Favorite House:NOES, Catacombs, SH 3, ST III, IB, WN,Gothic
  • First HHN:2005

Of course the closing of Amity will affect HHN, but MAYBE not as much as some might think. BTTF was walled off during HHN in 2006 (i think) & 2007.. BUT that was on a much smaller scale.

i believe the bottom of the BTTF queue was used for the line for psycho in 06, so it wasn't completely walled off.

Yet you all forget that there is an event that comes after Macys in the studio park- MARDI GRAS. The parade always starts at the gates between Jaws & FFL (where the house queue line is located during HHN) and then travels through Amity. So if Amity is being done away with, how will this construction affect Mardi Gras 2012 (Feb 11-April 14)? Sure they could start the parade over by Beetlejuice's backstage gates like Macy's

as for mardi gras, i guess they could go out next to BJ, down NY/Plaza of the stars/HY, up the street next to the lagoon(cant remember the name) and back into that alley, but that is a tad short for the parade.
OR, maybe they just put walls along the games/ride and the parade goes as normal. only time will tell...

XV-XVI-XVII-XVIII-XIX-XX-XXI-XXII-XXIII
HOS13
Favorite Houses:
2005: The Skool
2006: Screamhouse:Ressurection
2007: Nightmare on Elm Street:Dreamwalkers(All-Time Fav)
2008: Scary Tales: Once Upon A Nightmare
2009: Silver Screams
2010: Catacombs:Black Death Rising
2011: Winter's Night: The Haunting of Hawthorn Cemetry
2012: Gothic

2013: An American Werewolf in London
HOS13: Zombie Mortuary
BACCANOID

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, lurkers, anonymous users